Abstract Artwork Assembles In VU Art Gallery

Christopher Brown/Villanovan Photography
Scenes from the Abstract Artwork Gallery.

#AbstractActivism and #MeetingMaitin were the names of the game last Thursday, April 25, when the Connelly Center held its grand reception for the opening of its most recent art exhibit—Abstract Activism: Sam Maitin’s Philadelphia. Maitin, who passed away in 2004, was the esteemed “Mayor of the Arts,” a unique abstract artist whose works expressed a passionate commitment to social justice and peace in the city of Philadelphia. Abstract Activism was directed by Dr. Whitney Matinko, associate professor of history, and Jennie Castillo, Curator of the University Art Collection and Gallery Director, with assistance from various graduate students.

When asked to describe Maitin’s art style, Castillo described it as “vibrant, eclectic, bright and energetic.” His works range from depictions of joyful experiences to introspective ones. He typically combined words with punchy imagery to portray a hidden meaning.

To Maitin, art was a tool to display the socialist and pacifist beliefs instilled in him by his Russian immigrant parents. One of his notable pieces, “Back I Say Back!” supported the National Committee for a Sane Nuclear Policy (SANE) during the Cold War. In it, Maitin depicts a hardworking man protesting the threat of nuclear counterattacks.

Maitin fought passionately for justice for artists. He pushed the city of Philadelphia to give artists the same rights other workers had, including work protections and fair payment. The way he fostered community and fought for social justice in his lifetime earned him his aforementioned nickname: “Mayor of the Arts.”

One of Maitin’s most celebrated traits was his love of children. He contributed to various shorts, films and children’s books for the sake of nurturing creativity and curiosity. He often invited children to critique and give opinions on his works. The exhibit honored this with a table where children could color abstract drawings of themselves. During the event, the Art Gallery also featured a camera showcasing archived footage about Maitin’s life and his graffiti art in Philadelphia. 

“It shows how important art can outreach and care for other people,” second-year graduate student Tia Antonelli said of the importance of Maitin’s art.

Abstract Activism is scheduled to be on display from April 25 to Aug. 26. For further information about the VU Art Gallery, visit @vuartgallery on Instagram or @vu_artgallery on X.