Law School Fair

Julia Butch, Staff Writer

Aspiring law students met virtually with more than 50 law schools and LSAT prep companies last week as the University hosted a virtual law school fair.

Admissions recruiters from schools such as Duke Law, Boston College Law, Liberty University Law School and many more answered questions from students in one-on-one sessions and group information sessions. Students also had the chance to speak with the directors of elite prep companies such as The Princeton Review and TestMax. 

“The opportunity for students who are interested in attending law school to participate in law school fairs is one not to miss,” said Kate Szumanski, Director of Professional Development in the Office for Undergraduate Students (OUS) in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. “Meeting one-on-one or in small groups with representatives from law schools allows students to ask questions and learn more about specific schools beyond information that can be found online or in printed admissions materials. I advise students contemplating applying to law school to attend law school fairs to get their questions answered, and to explore schools that might not have been on their short lists.”

Many recruiters also offered fee waivers for applicants to fair participants. 

“This is incredibly advantageous for students seeking to save some money,” Szumanski said. “And let’s face it, most students want and need to save money wherever and whenever they can.”

Alex Karlesses, Assistant Director of Career Development and Pre-Law Advising, says that although law school fairs are not unique to Villanova, she is “truly impressed by just how many law schools wish to speak to Villanova students alone. Our fair draws a similar number of schools as an entire regional fair, which I believe speaks to the reputation of Villanova students and how eager law schools are to speak with them.”

“Law school applications are competitive by nature, so any chance that you have to speak with an admissions representative, and one-on-one no less, will be important,” she added. “Plus, it is also a great way to get a feel for the school and know if you want to continue pursuing them or schedule a follow-up visit.”

Aside from the fair, students can take advantage of additional resources at the University to prepare for law school. 

“OUS offers students a variety of professional development workshops and Arts and Sciences Professional Development (ASPD) courses to help prepare students to succeed at law school fairs and beyond,” Szumanski said. “From our workshops, ‘Networking 101’ and ‘How to Write a Professional Résumé,’ to our many ASPD courses, including ‘The Legal Profession’ and ‘Public Policy Paths,’ we’ve designed programs to help students succeed in college, law school, and beyond, even at law school fairs.”