Students Lead Let’s Vote Nova Initiative

Let’s Vote Nova is a student led initiative that helps students register to vote.

Hannah Sweeney, Staff Writer

On November 8, voters across the state will be heading to their local polls to vote in the midterm elections. Pennsylvania, a swing state, is in the spotlight, grabbing the attention of people all over the country. As Villanova students and part time residents, we have the privilege to be able to participate in this crucial election. In hopes to increase voter turnout during this pivotal election year, members of student government at Villanova along with teachers and volunteers started Let’s Vote Nova.

Pennsylvania is not only important because it is a swing state, but this election will also affect which party’s gain a majority in Congress. Right now, Democrats have the majority, but the results of a few states, Pennsylvania being one of them, will determine who takes control going forward. So, this election not only affects the people of Pennsylvania, but also citizens across the country.

This year in Pennsylvania, citizens are voting for a new governor and senator to represent them, with no incumbent running for reelection. Republican Mehmet Oz is running against Democrat John Fetterman in hopes to win the senate seat, while Republican Doug Mastriano is opposing Democrat Josh Shapiro in the race for governor. 

Let’s Vote Nova is a “Student led initiative that helps students register to vote and on Election Day get them out to the polls,” according to student body president Jose Garcia-Orozco. 

Over the next couple of weeks leading up to the election, Let’s Vote Nova will be tabling and spreading word around campus in attempts to get students involved. In addition, on Election Day, groups of volunteers will be directing and helping students determine their polling locations to minimize confusion among students. The University’s campus is divided into four local voting wards, so depending on residence halls, student’s voting locations differ. There will also be buses shuttling students to and from the various locations so that transportation is not a barrier preventing students from voting.

As well as spreading word about registration and helping on Election Day, Let’s Vote Nova also has a website with helpful tools and resources for students to use. Resources include registration forms with sample information filled out, FAQ’s, support services, links to registration and much more. There is also a section on the website where students can add their location in order to determine who their district representative and senator is. This website offers students a centralized page for all things relating to the Election. College students are extremely busy, and in the midst of all the tests and projects, it can be hard to find time to figure out the voting registration process. With a boost of encouragement from Let’s Vote Nova, the process is made much more efficient and accessible so that all students feel they have support in navigating the election process. 

Let’s Vote Nova has also made an effort to highlight important deadlines for students to be aware of so that students who want to vote do not miss the opportunity to. As mentioned on its website, the deadline for voter registration is Oct. 24, and applications for mail-in or absentee ballots must be received by the county election board by Nov. 1 at 5 p.m. Finally, on Election Day, voter ballots must be received by the county election office by 8 p.m. on Nov. 8. 

According to the US census, in 2020, college students’ voting rates were at a record high. Sixty-six percent of college students voted in the 2020 presidential election, which was up six percentage points from the 2016 election. Let’s Vote Nova hopes to encourage and continue this civic engagement in students this year for the Pennsylvania midterm elections. 

“This is a big year in Pennsylvania,” Garcia Orozco said. 

Villanova students have the power to make a difference in the community, so get out and vote. 

For more information on Let’s Vote Nova, please visit https://www1.villanova.edu/university/student-life/student-involvement/vote.html or contact the office of student involvement or student government association. For posts and updates, follow @letsvotenova on Instagram.