Men’s Fashion: Taking Your Wardrobe to New Heights

Courtesy of Devin Toolen

This is an edgier outfit that features a graphic tee, hoodie, belt bag, and an Obey hat. 

Devin Toolen, Staff Writer

Often when people think about fashion, they immediately think of womenswear. People generally seem to think that fashion is a female fad. However, this is simply not true. Everyone wears clothes, and fashion and style are key elements in everybody’s life, whether you notice it or not.

There is so much untapped potential when it comes to men’s fashion, especially for young college students. Men’s fashion is so versatile. Some might think that they’re limited to just pants, tops, a coat and some nice shoes. However, men’s fashion allows so much room for personal creativity.

Fashion, in my opinion, is about wearing what makes you feel comfortable and confident. If that means wearing khakis and your fraternity’s tee shirt, then by all means, go for it. But at a school where a lot of people wear similar styles, wouldn’t it be fun to stand out from the crowd? A great way to start this would be to experiment with different tops. Rather than throwing on a Villanova shirt, try a plain tee with a short sleeve woven to go on top of it. This is a very simple change that will automatically elevate one’s style and make an impact.

Along those lines, something important to keep in mind for fashion in general is to not revolve your wardrobe around what’s trending. Most of the time, trends last for a couple of months and then fade out. Following trends is exciting. However, being stylish does not necessarily mean wearing the latest Supreme collab or a Kids See Ghosts hoodie. Having style is knowing how to work with the clothes you have to create outfits that make you feel comfortable and confident. That being said, for men’s fashion, start off with a few versatile basic pieces. This can include well-fitted jeans and trousers, plain tees or woven shirts, a pullover sweater to easily dress up a look and a nice pair of shoes other than Old-Skool Vans (although they are a favorite). Versatile, basic pieces are essential to a complete wardrobe.

A few great places to shop for men’s clothes are Obey, Topman, ASOS, Bonobos, Stüssy and Uniqlo. Obey and Stüssy are similar shops that feature edgier apparel. Their styles present cool patterns that might spark interest. They also have basic pants and tops that will be perfect for anyone’s wardrobe. Topman, ASOS and Uniqlo are similar stores that have almost anything one might need. From jeans to beanies and even belt bags, these stores are perfect for finding essential pieces. Lastly, Bonobos is a great shop for trousers. While they do offer other men’s clothing, their trousers collection is well-known amongst my male friends for being extremely comfortable. 

For shoes, I highly recommend investing in a pair of Doc Martens. There is a wide range of styles on the Doc Martens’ website, so have a look and find a pair that you think will most benefit your wardrobe. For sneakers, Nike styles that you can find online or on the SNKRS app are a favorite. Some noteworthy models are any type of Jordan’s, particularly 1s or 4s, and Blazers. Regardless, Nike offers an abundance of sneakers that can be stylish to wear with any type of outfit. 

After collecting basics, try dressing up a look with a cool hoodie or a nice jacket. A great way to find cool men’s hoodies is by doing a quick Google search for one of your interests. This could lead to a merchandise website or an Etsy shop that makes uniquely designed sweatshirts. For coats and outerwear, an interesting brand for both men’s and women’s fashion is Arc’teryx. This is a winter performance wear brand that is relatively expensive but features extremely high-quality pieces. If you are looking for a warm coat or jacket to keep for a long time, Arc’teryx is the place to shop. 

Along with all of these recommendations, one cannot forget about thrift shopping. Sustainable and affordable, this is a great way to find uncommon pieces that can be cool additions to a wardrobe. 

A great way for men to begin dipping their toes in the vast sea of fashion is to draw inspiration from some well-known stylish men. Having a source of inspiration like this can greatly help anyone create his or her own personal style. Some celebrities like A$AP Rocky, Charlie Heaton, Donald Glover (Childish Gambino) and Harry Styles are popular fashion influences to keep an eye out for. Their creative styles can serve as sources of inspiration.

Again, fashion is for everyone, and clothes are just another form of self-expression. Use your personal style as a creative outlet and don’t forget, confidence is the best accessory to any outfit.