Bag Alert, Major Bag Alert: Girl Scout Cookies on Campus

Courtesy of The Washington Post/Getty Images

Kappa Delta helps the Girl Scouts bring iconic cookies like these to campus.

Sydney Singh, Staff Writer

Have you noticed the Girl Scouts of America outside of the Connelly Center?

This genius business strategy for selling Girl Scout cookies on college campuses is found at many colleges throughout the country, including Villanova, University of Tampa and Georgetown, as shown on viral TikTok posts.

The Kappa Delta sorority has supported the Girl Scouts of America for more than 20 years, and Villanova’s very own chapter does workshops in the fall and sponsors the Girl Scouts to come to campus to support their bright futures.

The chapter must go through training, as members work with the Girl Scouts, who are minors. Kappa Delta members teach and mentor the girls to learn how to engage in productive conversations and become prepared to be future business leaders.

Sophomore Mackenzie O’Brien, a Kappa Delta chapter member and coordinator, spoke about the chapter’s efforts, saying that selling cookies on campus is “not so much about profits but making connections.”

Coming to a college campus might be intimidating for the Girl Scouts, but when one hears the enticing calling of “Girl Scout cookies, come and get your cookies,” they stop by and buy some cookies, as the girl scouts make bank.

In light of Women’s History month for the month of March, the Girl Scouts of America have recognized on many social media platforms the trailblazers who have struggled to fight for women’s equality. Some of the women they recognize are from the newer generation of change makers including Amanda Gorman, the youngest person in in U.S. history to read at an inauguration ceremony, and Naomi Osaka, the highest-earning female athlete of all time. The Girl Scouts of America celebrate the female change makers who are pushing for a just and equitable society

This celebration goes back to the Girl Scouts’ mission and the importance of not just selling cookies but also making a difference for others.

The Girl Scouts of America organization was first founded in 1912 in Savannah, Georgia. Juliette Gordon Low, nicknamed “Daisy,” founded the organization in her hometown where the first troop was made of only 18 members. Little did Low know that her organization would later create a global movement to make a difference to shape the future of young girls. In 2010, the Girl Scouts of America went through rebranding to better engage girls through empowerment.

At the start of the pandemic, there have been many talks about the practicality of selling cookies in person. However, as the mask mandate was lifted outdoors and indoors, many Girl Scouts found themselves back in business. The process of things going back to normal has been very comforting for the Girl Scouts, who can go back to selling cookies and engaging with their community.

When you see the Girl Scouts on campus, be sure to buy a box or two because everyone has a favorite Girl Scout cookie. Hot take: thin mints remain superior when frozen.