Kappa Delta Hosts Annual Shamrock Tournament

Courtesy of @kdvillanova Instagram

Members of Kappa Delta hosted their Shamrock cornhole tournament.

Emily Schoonover, Staff Writer

This past Friday, Villanova’s chapter of Kappa Delta held its yearly Shamrock Philanthropy event, a cornhole tournament on the campus green where money is raised for Prevent Child Abuse America, or

PCAA. 

All members of the Villanova community were invited to form teams with three other people and compete in this outdoor tournament. Leading up to the event, tickets were sold outside of Café Nova, and the event was advertised through posters and on social media. Additionally, many people bought their tickets for the event through friends in Kappa Delta. 

“Selling tickets outside of Café Nova was a great way to advertise the event and connect with my sisters,” said new member of Kappa Delta Hannah Sweeney. “It was also a great way for me to get my friends who are not in my sorority involved with my sorority, which was exciting.”

Members of Kappa Delta were able to gather a large percentage of the Villanova community, as there were over 100 teams formed for the cornhole tournament, and many people came just to spectate. The conditions for an outdoor philanthropy event could not have been more ideal, as it was 70 degrees and sunny, which attracted more Villanova community members to enjoy the outdoors while supporting Kappa Delta’s philanthropy. Additionally, there was a lot of support from other Greek organizations on campus. 

“I am more than happy to attend Kappa Delta’s philanthropy event to support such a good cause,” Delta Gamma member Kristina Cooper said. “I really value supporting other sororities and their philanthropies, and think it is a great way to stay involved.” 

Last year, with the restrictions of the pandemic, Kappa Delta was able to put on this event but had to adhere to rules regarding social distancing and masks to help maintain the safety of the Villanova community. However, this year, the event was able to be held as normal with no restrictions. There was music playing out of speakers, and people were able to hang out with their friends while they waited for their turn to play without the restrictions of masks and distancing. 

“The event went really smoothly,” Sweeney said. “The general consensus was that people had a lot of fun, and we were able to raise money for a great cause, which is what we want to hear.”

Kappa Delta supports Girl Scouts and Prevent Child Abuse America as a part of its philanthropy, and the proceeds from the Shamrock event specifically go to PCAA. 

“Shamrock is a great way for our community of Kappa Deltas to connect to help such a great cause,” Kappa Delta member Tara Ford said. 

“Most of our proceeds go to child-abuse prevention organizations in this area, and I really appreciate the ability to help the community with my sorority.” 

Along with the Shamrock cornhole tournament, Kappa Delta celebrates Women’s Friendship Month all throughout September and supports women’s empowerment in many ways. Additionally, twice each semester, local Girl Scout troops are invited to campus by the Kappa Deltas where the sorority members inspire them to continue dreaming and become the best versions of themselves. 

To see more about the Shamrock event or learn more about Kappa Delta’s philanthropy, check out @kdvillanova on Instagram.