Letters to the Editor

Students voice choice of publication

To the Editors:

I would like to begin my letter to the editor by stating that I rarely, if ever, agree with John Turner. However, John Turner’s articulate and sensible article regarding the Villanova Times in The Villanovan’s April 19 issue warrants both recognition and praise.

Although I am unqualified to comment on the removal of the Villanova Times from metal racks in Dougherty Hall, I am qualified to speak to the content and professionalism of the Villanova Times and its staff. John Turner points out in his article that “the Times’ March 21 Sports section contained five articles with only two that pertained to the University” as well as the proliferation of articles having no relevance to Villanova (other than the fact that Chris Lilik is a Villanova student).

My conception of a campus newspaper is to report issues that are relevant to the University and its students. I read The Washington Post to get my national and world news; I read The Villanovan to get my news about Villanova University. I also find the satiation of articles about the Villanova Times itself and its staff members to be decidedly unprofessional. As Turner mentioned, “I have never seen a professional newspaper that quotes its own editor in chief. “ This is undoubtedly true. If the Villanova Times wants to begin to craft an equal reputation to that of The Villanovan they should remember that they need to have a universal appeal to Villanova University’s student population.

Finally, I would like to comment on Turner’s allegation of plagiarism. Although I did not read the particular article he mentioned, I, as I hope all students would be, am appalled that a publication with the word Villanova in its title would plagiarize. As Villanova’s Blue Book states, “Any form of plagiarism, unauthorized collaboration or dishonesty” is punishable by an F on the assignment and, following a second offense, dismissal from the University, I find it abhorrent that the Villanova Times would plagiarize and face no consequences. I commend John Turner for his thoughtful article. I praise the entire staff of The Villanovan, who can be found toiling away on Wednesday nights into early Thursday mornings, to put out a professional, original publication germaine to Villanova University and its students.

Ally Powell Class of 2002

The better product

To the Editors:

In your recent response to the Villanova Times, you forgot to mention that the quality of their writing is at a fifth grade level (not all of the writers, but a good portion). Nice presentation of your points, and good job avoiding engaging in the excessive bashing that you undoubtedly feel is required.

Nick ErominClass of 2005

Good luck to the Marathon Guy

To the Editors:

I just want to wish Jim Bobeck, also known as, “The Marathon Guy,” the best of luck in this Sunday’s race. His columns have provided much amusement to the readers (which by the way, is much more than eight readers, I am sure) of The Villanovan since his debut. His dedication to train and then chronicle it for people to read is very admirable. So, on April 28, when he is running miles 20-26, I hope he knows that the Villanova community is there with him wishing him the best of luck and knowing that he can accomplish his goal. Thanks for the articles!

Allison BroganClass of 2002

Pro-life movement controversy

To the Editors:

In response to Mr. Pohlhaus’s letter last week, in which he attacks the “so called pro-life group” for making “obscene and threatening phone calls to school secretaries” over Senator Mitchell’s visit, I’d like to clarify a few things.

First, I appreciate much of his critique. Yes, the children in war-torn countries, inmates on death row and the impoverished in our own country demand attention from anyone claiming to be pro-life. One fundamental thing missing from that list, though, is priority. Villanovans for Life cannot fight for the unborn, the poor, the disabled, the oppressed, etc with equal fervor. In light of its basic mission, then–to protect and celebrate the sanctity of human life in at all stages–its focus rests on abortion, the greatest and most pressing tragedy, claiming about 4,000 American children daily.

Finally, the allegation that VFL was in any way connected to any threatening phone calls is entirely untrue and offensive. Thank you, Mr. Pohlhaus, for reminding us and all of campus of the importance of the “seamless garment,” but please stop before you jump to unfairly criticize any group fighting for justice, especially one that is so committed and passionate about protecting life.

Johanna MihokClass of 2003

SGA President says goodbye

To the Editors:

Thank you for a spectacular year!

My job as President was a pleasure because of working with so many of you, my classmates and friends. Whether it was your e-mails, phone calls or visits to the office, you always kept me on my toes! I hope the decision-making and actions of this year’s SGA satisfied you, just as I hope your ideas and concerns were represented properly. In addition, I trust you will enjoy some of our achievements like the Fall 2002 Main Campus Gym and Commuter Meal Plan, as well as participate in some of the traditions we began this year such as the Mark Sirolli Memorial Basketball Tournament, Look Good Feel Good Philanthropy, NovaPong, Welcome Back Picnic and Faculty & Staff Appreciation Week.Feel free to celebrate SGA’s achievements-but do yourself a favor and celebrate your own. Anything we did this year was a function of your involvements and thoughts.

Again, I thank you wholeheartedly for the memories. Christine E. Gerchow Class of 2002Student Body President

SGA applauded for achievements

To the Editors:

Many thanks to the SGA officers, Christine Gerchow, president, Mike Pascarella, chair, and Ryan Saska, co-chair, for the delicious lunch on April 24 on Mendel Field. The SGA cooked and served a ”thank you” lunch for the University faculty and staff during Staff Appreciation Week. What a great feeling to know that the Villanova student community contributed to this great event, including music by the Tech Crew.As a staff member, please know that a good time was had by all. Thanks for the priority that you have given all of us at the University. Good luck in your finals!

Rita DiAntonioClass of 2001

Decisions of Arctic Wildlife Refuge based on sound science and reason

To the Editors:

Colin Girgenti’s article last week about the Arctic Wildlife Refuge was guided by narrow ideology rather than reasonable facts. The total acreage of ANWAR is about 19.6 million acres. The House of Representatives voted to open up only 2,000 acres or 0.01 percent of this land for oil exploration. When you put these two numbers into perspective, it would be the equivalent of building one small airport and placing it in a barren area the size of South Carolina. Girgenti wrote about the impact oil drilling would have on the Gwich’in tribe, but failed to mention another tribe, the Inupiat Eskimo. This native tribe was open-minded to the idea of oil exploration in Prudhoe Bay-North America’s largest oil reserve and has benefited from the extra jobs and cash flow to its people. Also, the caribou in that region have increased seven times in 20 years, since the caribou preferto give birth near the pipelines, which provide warmth in the deep freeze of winter. When making environmental policy, we must reject “doomsday” scenarios such as Girgenti’s and make policy based on sound science and reason.

Matthew J. Tralies Class of 2003