Greekend activities unite community

Jonathan Stow

Last weekend, the Office of Greek Life sponsored the second annual Greekend, a three-day celebration of Greek life on campus. The weekend included a variety of activities for both members and non-members of Greek organizations.

Assistant Director of Student Development Chrissy Faistl described the event as a chance “to bring the entire Greek community together, as well as to let all Villanova students know that they are a part of the Greek community.”

She contineud, “All of our events were extended to the entire Villanova community.”

The festivities began the night of Sept. 13 with a picnic on South campus, intended to promote Greek life to interested freshmen and sophomores and to serve as a pep rally for the football team’s home opener the following night.

After the picnic, Late Night at Villanova featured two student bands, each including the president of a fraternity on campus: Sticker features the president of Beta Theta Pi, David Dow, while Rise and Fall showcases the talents of FIJI president James Rekas.

Last Saturday, events began with a basketball tournament on the courts outside of Sullivan Hall. About 15 teams competed, and the money raised by the tournament went to a charity determined by the Pan-Hellenic Society.

Afterwards, an all-you-can-eat buffet was set up in Wildcat Village in anticipation of the football game later that evening.

Late Night at Villanova had planned to show the film “Ocean’s Eleven” outdoors, but the rain forced the screening into the Connelly Center Cinema from 10 p.m. until midnight.

The final day of the Greekend opened with a mass celebrated by Rev. John Stack, O.S.A, vice president of Student Life, to all members of the University community. Stack stressed the importance of Greek life and referred to the Greek community as “a small community existing within a larger community.”

Inclement weather again played a part in the weekend’s activities on Sunday. The final event planned was a charity softball game sponsored by Delta Tau Delta, Greek organizations against the Lower Merion Police Department. However, the persistent rain combined with an undersized LMPD squad led to the game’s cancellation.

“We were definitely real enthusiastic about playing against the Villanova kids, but I had a tough time getting 10 guys together because of conflicting schedules and also because of the weather,” LMPD team captain Richard Wayock said. A makeup game has been tentatively scheduled for Sept. 29.