Coming home: Celebrating Homecoming

Annie Salamone

With fall break only a week away, the idea of going home is on most student’s minds. But this weekend, the University community hopes that students will take some time to think about their “home” as part of a school community.

Over the next three days, hundreds of Villanova graduates will travel to Villanova for the annual homecoming celebration. The University hosts alumni, who find their trips to Villanova to be more than a visit-they are a real homecoming to a place that transformed four years of their lives into a whirlwind of experiences and successes.

The Campus Activities Team plans on showing all Villanovans a good time. Games, giveaways and lots of food will be provided at the Oreo throughout the weekend.

Appearances will be made by bands such as “As Tall As Lions” and “Three Formed Fates.” Villanovans can also expect the arrival of the Sierra Mist Tour, sponsored by Pepsi Cola, which will supply a rock climbing wall and tons of free giveaways. Other activities include a giant slide, a sumo wrestling ring, spin art and face painting, perfect for all ages. The festivities will last from 2 to 6 p.m. Sheehan Beach will host the alumni cookout, and hamburgers, hot dogs, hot pretzels, cotton candy and popcorn will be available for Wildcats of all ages.

The football game, the center of homecoming weekend, will be at noon on Saturday against Hofstra University. Other sporting events include women’s volleyball against Miami University at 11 a.m. on Saturday and Virginia Tech at 2 p.m. on Sunday in the Jake Nevin Field House.

Women’s field hockey plays La Salle University at 7 p.m. on Saturday in the Stadium and men’s soccer takes on Drexel University at 1 p.m. on Sunday on the West campus fields.

As you make your way in and out of campus buildings this weekend, you’re bound to bump into a nostalgic alumnus, so make sure to say hi, hold the door and welcome him or her home.