Student Science Internship

[email protected]

Dear Editor Below is a press release about the Lankenau Institute for Medical Research’s student internship program. We are now accepting applications and since we’ve had some great Nova students as interns in the past, we want to offer current students the opportunity to participate. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me at 610-645-8144. Thank you for your consideration.

Truly,Ilena Di Toro

***********************************************Contact: Ilena Di ToroPR/Development Assistant610-645-8144e-mail: [email protected]

FOR IMMEDIATE MEDIA RELEASE:

EXPOSE YOURSELF TO SCIENCE NOT MOSQUITOES

Unique Summer Internship Program Now Accepting Applications

(Wynnewood, PA January 9, 2003) The Lankenau Institute for Medical Research, located in suburban Philadelphia, is now accepting applications for its Summer Internship Program. This summer training program is unique in that it places talented college undergraduates, who are interested in pursuing careers in biomedical research or science, in a real research laboratory within an academic medical center.

Students are paired with established investigators and given the opportunity to conduct hands-on research. Research interests at The Institute include molecular carcinogenesis, developmental biology, molecular biology of aging and cell senescence, cardiovascular disease, and gene therapy. Interns are paid a $2,240 stipend for an eight-week internship that can be extended to ten weeks. Interns are responsible for their summer housing arrangements. Housing assistance is not provided. The program will run from June 2 through July 25, 2003.

The Internship Program is open to undergraduate students currently in their freshman, sophomore, or junior years. Interested students should mail or fax a cover letter describing their career goals, a resume outlining pertinent course work and laboratory experience, a college transcript, and one letter of recommendation from either a college professor or former high school teacher. Interested students are encouraged to go to the Institute’s web site, www. limr.org, to review the available research programs so that they can indicate a preference for the program(s) in which they are most interested.

Please send application materials to:

Karen Knudsen, Ph.D./Summer Internship ProgramLankenau Institute for Medical Research 100 Lancaster AvenueWynnewood, PA 19096FAX: 610-645-8533

The deadline for applications is February 21, 2003. Applicants will be notified of their status on March 14, 2003 and, if accepted, should confirm their interest in participating in the program by March 19, 2003. Please be sure to include a telephone number and/or email address where you can be reached on March 14, 2003. Eligibility is limited to US applicants and permanent residents.

The Lankenau Institute for Medical Research, is celebrating its 75th Anniversary as a separate nonprofit research institution. The Institute’s focus is on improving human health through basic research on chronic diseases affecting older people, including cancer, cardiovascular diseases, Alzheimer’s and diabetes. The Institute also provides ongoing information and educational programs to the public and the medical community. To learn more about the Lankenau Institute for Medical Research, visit www.limr org. ## 30 ##