‘Change’ at Villanova

Megan Angelo

The creativity of Villanovans of all ages and positions has come together to illustrate the fine details of a simple concept — change.

The book “Change,” now on sale in the campus bookstore, is the brainchild of junior John Reinhardt, an honors, communication and history triple major.

Christine Muller ’96, who now works in the public relations department on campus, helped channel Reinhardt’s idea.

“It was all John’s initial idea,” Muller explains. “There were literary publications on campus, and they’re very good publications. What was missing was just a real, solid, hardcover publication that people could hold in their hands.”

Reinhardt’s idea came to fruition last year when students, faculty and staff gathered to form an editorial board. The board offered the opportunity to everyone on campus to contribute to “Change.” Poems, sketches, paintings and short stories poured in — nearly 100 pages worth. “We definitely got a lot more submissions than we expected,” Muller says. She adds that the editorial board was only necessary for deciding which works needed priority in going to the publisher and that no submission was rejected.

“Change” contains a diverse mix of both art forms and Villanovans. Christopher Knoerlein, the student chairperson of New Student Orientation for the Class of 2006, supplied a sample of his poetry. Rev. Richard Cannuli and Brother Jack Stagliano both provided pictures of their handiwork — stained glass windows and a marble sculpture, respectively. The book’s short stories, written by various students and professors, are poignant personal documentaries of the transformations between the jubilance of kindergarten and the quietness of old age.

Pastel beach depictions and ink drawings of Villanova’s chapel go back-to-back with photographs of everything from Tibetan women to milkweed bugs to Falvey Library. “The book is meant to showcase the talents of people on campus,” says Muller, who contributed photography herself.

Muller acknowledges that the title of the compilation was entirely Reinhardt’s idea. She explains, “It was a product of his reflections on the life-altering experiences that college inevitably offers.”

Additional inspiration came from Reinhardt’s belief that Sept. 11 shed new light on the nature of change, including those in his own life. “John just felt that ‘Change’ would be a good title for the publication that he was putting so much of his own heart and soul into, Muller says. “The book itself was a product of changes he had gone through.”