Strong start on spring season for ‘Nova lacrosse

James Evans

Men’s lacrosse traveled into Philadelphia last Friday to take on local rival Drexel coming away with their thrid win of the season and first conference win. The ’Cats beat the Dragons 10-4 at University of Pennsylvania’s Franklin Field.

The first half was closely contested as both teams traded goals. However, the second half the ’Cats came out firing, scoring six goals. Meanwhile, Villanova’s defense was fabulous holding the Dragons to only one goal.

The ’Cats were once again led by both sophomore Marc Creegan, who had a hat trick, and senior Brian Marks, who dished out four assists. Sophomore Scott MacMullan scored twice, while Dan Fanelli, Matt Starker, Mike O’Donnell and Richie Kratz, all pitched in with one goal a piece.

In net, freshman Joseph Canuso, played tough, holding Drexel to only four goals, and stopping seven shots. Canuso’s record improved to 3-0 on the season.

On March 1, the ’Cat’s traveled to Leigh, to take on the Mountain Hawks. The ’Cats proved to be the stronger team, beating Leigh, 11-4. Creegan led the team by recording a hat trick, while Dave Cacciabeve and Marks had solid performances, recording two goals and a goal and an assist, respectively.

Meanwhile, Villanova’s defense was paced by Owen Corso, who had six ground balls, in the ’Cat’s wins.

After delaying the season opener twice, the ’Cats finally got the season underway, when they took faced off against Binghamton on Feb. 26.

The ’Cats got a boost from Marks, who led the team with nine points, scoring four times while dishing out five assists. Creegan, meanwhile scored four goals on seven shots as the ’Cats went on to win 13-4.

On the defensive side of the ball, Chris Kramer and Corso led the way for the ’Cats, obtaining 15 ground balls combined.

The mens’ next game will be tonight against Duke in Durham, N.C. at 7 p.m. Their next home game will be next week when they take on Big Five rival St. Joseph’s on Wednesday.

St. Joseph’s is off to rough start this season, losing its first four games of the season, until finally getting a win against Wagner.

The Hawks’ main threat is Keegan Wilkinson. Wilkinson is off to a hot start as he has totalled 14 points in the Hawks first five games of the season.

This is including an amazing season opener aganinst Delaware where he scored seven points and in the same game went on to dish out seven assits.

Last Friday, the women came into their game with Lafayette licking its wounds after receiving a 17-6 shellacking from local rival Temple.

However this did not affect tthe ’Cats in any way, as played a tremendous game. ’Nova’s defense lead the way for the team holding Lafayette to only four goals on nine shots.

On the offensive side of the ball, the ’Cats were lead by both seniors Elizabeth Firth and Meghan Carolan, who both scored twice. Firth also added two assists.

The other tallies came from sophomore Steph Haas and freshman Leslie McDermott. In net Jessie McGratten earned her first college victory by stopping three shots.

However, the show was stolen by her counter-part in net, Tracey Williams. Williams faced a plethora of shots, but turned away 12.

In the season opener the ’Cats took on Temple. The Owls came out smoking, scoring 17 goals and holding the ’Cats to only six in the defeat.

Katie Kolmo scored twice, while Cindy Koza, Hass, Bess Hanley and Katie Mannix each addede one to pace the ’Cats.

The women will host Fairfield tomorrow at 1 p.m. at the Villanova stadium.

Next Wednesday the women will travel to Philadelphia to take on their Big Five rival La Salle.