Mens and womens tennis off to a rough start

James Evans

The men’s tennis team is hoping that they will soon be able to turn its losing streak into a winning streak. The spring season is usually not too kind to the men’s tennis team lately and this year is no different, as it started off 0-7, dropping its overall record to 2-8.

The most recent loss came at the hands of Maryland in College Park, Md., as the ‘Cats fell 7-2.

In singles, the ‘Cats were led by senior Brad Adams, who battled back from one set down to take his match 3-6, 6-4, 1-0.

But, after Adams the ‘Cats experienced little success, failing to capture even one set. Senior Ryan Devine, juniors John Toppel and Carl Fenzl and sophomores Aaron Kusza and Ricardo Baraldi all lost in straight sets.

However, Baraldi barely lost the first set 6-4 and the second 6-2, while Fenzl almost pulled out a victory of his own, only losing 6-3, 6-4.

It was clear that the ‘Cats were overmatched by a stronger and more talented Maryland team.

The doubles action provided the most excitement all day.

In the first match, the Terps were just more dominating, handing Devine and Lucas Kaster an 8-1 loss. Then Adams and Toppel paired up and battled hard, only losing 8-6 in the second match.

However, the most exciting match came when Baraldi and Fenzl teamed up to take on Maryland’s Pierre Rudder and Rory Theis.

The set was back and forth the whole time, but Baraldi and Fenzl eventually were able to pull out the victory.

The men will look to get on the winning track Saturday when they host Big East rival Georgetown. The Hoyas come into the match hurting more than the ‘Cats, as they are 2-9 and have dropped eight in a row.

Last year the ‘Cats traveled to Washington and were rudely welcomed as they lost 7-0; however, they will be looking for some retaliation this weekend against Georgetown.

While most were going off to some resort vacation over spring break, the women’s tennis team was leaving Villanova for the West Coast, with visions of coming home over .500 for the first time this year.

However, the ‘Cats boarded the plane headed for the east coast with a 3-6 record, after two losses.

In its first game, ‘Nova battled Vanguard University in Costa Mesa. The women played tough, but eventually lost 5-4.

In the singles matches, the ‘Cats were able to pull out two wins. Junior Kelly McAndrew and freshman Lindsey Puchyr came away with the victories in their single matches, winning 6-0, 6-1 and 6-0, 6-2, respectively.

However, ‘Nova senior Jennifer Flick, juniors Jessie Rybacki and Erica Walter and sophomore Courtney Flezzani all faltered in their matches, losing in straight sets.

In doubles matches the women were able to pull out two victories. In the first match, juniors Rybacki and McAndrew paired up, but lost a rough match 8-3.

In the second match senior Flick and sophomore Courtney Flezzani teamed up for one of the more exciting matches of the meet.

In the match, both teams traded games back and forth with no team taking a distinct lead.

However, in the end Flick and Courtney Flezzani were able to claim the victory 9-8.

In the third match, Walter paired up with Morgan Flezzani and totally obliterated their opponents, winning 8-0.

Two days later, the women traveled to San Diego to take on Point Loma Nazarene. Once again the women played hard, but eventually fell to Point Loma.

‘Nova was only able to capture two of the singles matches, as McAndrew and Puchyr paced the ‘Cats in the singles matches winning 6-2, 6-0 and 6-7, 6-3, 6-3, respectively.

Meanwhile, Flick, Rybacki, Courtney Flezzani and Walter faltered losing in two straight sets.

In doubles, Rybacki and Courtney Flezzani pulled out the lone victory for the ‘Cats, winning 8-6.

While the teams of Flick and McAndrew and Morgan Flezzani and Walter both lost.

The women’s next match is this weekend when they will host Georgetown at noon. In last year’s match against the Hoyas the Wildcats lost, 6-1.

However, this year, the Villanova women’s tennis team is looking for revenge against their rivals, but the outcome does not look good for the ‘Cats as Georgetown has won three games this spring season and are overall are 4-3-1 on the season