Honor society hosts inaugural lecture

Sean Wright

The Delta Epsilon Sigma Honor Society began its first active year since 1970 on Tuesday with a lecture on “Living the Moral Life,” presented by Dr. James Keating.

Keating authored the book “Pure Heart: Clear Conscience.”

The Office of Mission Effectiveness reactivated the society last year to provide the community with a better understanding of University’s Catholic heritage and the Augustinian mission.

“The purpose of Delta Epsilon Sigma is to get students excited about the mission of the school and what makes Villanova different from any other school,” DES President and Campus Minister Andrea Thibodeau said.

Students entering DES must be within the top 10 percent of their class, have completed 50 percent of their total courses and embody the University’s mission statement by being active in university life and involved with service.

Students involved with the organization serve on an advisory council which contributes suggestions and ideas about activities and events being planned.

The group’s activities will range from several service-oriented projects to various lectures about various aspects of Catholic living and spirituality throughout the year.

The lecture, which was held in Bartley Hall’s amphitheater, covered topics from finding spirituality as an American living in the 21st century to searching for truth.

“You have to identify what you love, listen to what you love and, if you have to, change what you love,” Keating said.

“In America, people are too solipsistic in nature. We need to rid our traditional way of thinking and be more open to others,” Freshman Kevin Woolsey said.

Keating is a deacon and an associate professor of moral theology. He teaches at Pontifical College Josephinu, which is located in Columbus, Ohio.

In future lectures, members of DES will have a chance to meet with the invited speakers prior to the events for open group discussions.

The Honor Society’s next event is an essay contest for scholarship money.

The essays will be due in November, but more announcements concerning the contest will be sent to students in the next few weeks.