Seven injured in car accident

Melissa Weigel

Radnor police recently charged Rev. Bernard A. Lazor, O.S.A., 78, with careless driving after he lost control of his 1994 Ford Taurus in a restricted parking lot in front of University stadium after the Villanova – Delaware football game on Nov. 22.

“In the purest sense of the word, it was an accident,” Alexis Andrianopoulos, Radnor Township police spokeswoman, said.

Seven people were injured, though none seriously. Four of the seven were transported to nearby hospitals, where they were all treated and released either Saturday night or Sunday morning. The remaining three sought medical treatment on their own. Lazor was not injured.

Bonnie Wharton, mother of a University of Delaware football player, was the most seriously injured. She was airlifted to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania where she was treated for a concussion and a bruised hip.

The accident occurred just outside the visiting team’s locker room, where University of Delaware football players were just leaving to meet family and friends.

“It appears that the accident was not a result of any injury, not a heart condition or stroke,” said Andrianopoulos. “It appears he just lost control of the vehicle.”

The police ruled out alcohol as a factor in this incident; Lazor passed an on-site Breathalyzer test.

The reason for the accident is still unexplained. It seems Lazor’s left foot was lodged under the brake pedal. He tried to brake to avoid the accident, but could not and lost control of the car.

A witness, Jerry O’Neill, father of a Delaware football player, attempted to control Lazor’s car by opening the car door and turning the steering wheel while trying to pull the keys out of the ignition.

Most people were able to jump or run out of the way to avoid being hit.

Many people present at the accident were visibly upset with Lazor, but the crowd remained under control.

Police and medical help arrived shortly after the accident occurred to help the injured and calm the crowd.

No arrests were made at the scene. Police did not charge Lazor until after a three-day investigation.

One woman, the mother of a Delaware football player, was videotaping when the accident occurred. Although she was not able to get any of the actual accident on tape, she did record the sounds.

Lazor will also “be required to be reexamined by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation Bureau of Driver Licensing,” according to a press release issued by the Radnor Township Police Department.

Lazor is an associate professor at the University, and he has served as the chaplain for the football and basketball teams since 1978.