This Week in Villanova History

Robert M. Jordan

The University Senate approved a budgetary resolution at its March 16 meeting which would raise overall student tuition costs by at least $500 next year.

Alvin Clay, chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, presented a report which mandated tuition increases to meet rising administrative costs and faculty salary increases in the 1984-1985 school year.

Clay revealed that the overall 8.7 percent tuition increase would raise next year’s bill for Arts & Sciences and Commerce & Finance students from $5,370 to $5,840. Students in the Engineering or Nursing schools would pay $6,020 compared to the current price of $5,540. Law School costs would go from $5,770 to $6,290, a nine percent increase.

Dr. Justin Green led the debate against the tuition hike, asking, “What are the priorities of this university? This budget, like last year’s has the administrative budget going well up. It doesn’t make sense to make Villanova into an administrative growth process over the educational process that it should be.”

Administrative costs are slated to rise 14.5 percent, according to Green’s figures, yet the University debt is down and income is up 12.3 percent this year.

When these figures were compared to the low rate of inflation, Gary Fenner, vice president for Financial Affairs, responded, “Our tuition increase doesn’t compare to national inflation figures because of the great costs the university must absorb due to the technological revolution and student aid packages.”

Tuition increases for local colleges were presented to be comparable with Villanova’s price hike. According to Fenner’s figures, LaSalle College’s tuition is due to rise 10 percent, while St. Joseph’s University, Bryn Mawr College and the University of Pennsylvania’s costs will rise nine percent.

Fenner added that Villanova will pay out $36.9 million in staff salaries next year. A total of $8.3 million in benefits will go along with those salaries.

Summing up his opinions on the budget, Dr. Green said, “We’ve got to stop being rubber-stamp yes men. The faculty is frustrated, besides the students, over these ever-growing tuition increases.”

Besides the 11.9 perfect faculty salary increase, other reasons for the tuition hike include the increase in security staff, the $1.5 million tuition aid package and the jump in all medical benefits for all University employees. Prices for parking lot permits would rise from $35-50 for students next and $50-$80 for faculty next year.

The motion to approve the budget, which would run from June 1, 1984 to May 31, 1985, passed by a vote of 25 to 4.