Students raise issues at Town Hall Meeting

Will Caverly

On Monday, April 19, Villanova’s Student Government held its first Town Hall Meeting with administrators from several departments including Vice President of Academic Affairs John Immerwahr, Director of Athletics Vince Nicastro, Director of Student Development Tom Mogan, Vice President Dr. Helen Lafferty and Tim Dietzler, head of Dining Services.

The proceedings, located in the Connelly Cinema, allowed students to pose questions to the administration regarding activities on campus.

SGA member Stephanie Gilpin organized the event after reading about Town Hall Meetings in a past issue of the Villanovan. “I think that the administration was very informative,” Gilpin said.

Among subjects discussed were the poor attendance at women’s basketball games, the future of Learning Communities on campus, and the future of Dougherty Hall’s dining services.

The future of academic advising was also discussed. “The University really cares about the students,” Immerwahr said of the initiatives in the College of Arts and Sciences to create more advanced advising, “not only in the classroom, but outside.”

Arts and Sciences students can expect a new advising center that will give more guidance to A&S majors.

Inquiries were posed regarding the strain between intramurals and varsity sports.

New gym hours were announced, with gyms staying open until 11 p.m., provided they can be adequately staffed.

On the issue of improving diversity on campus, it was announced that Dr. Terry Nance will be the head of a new diversity initiative as of Jan. 1.

One student asked about common areas for majors like psychology, who feel that unlike business majors, they have no dedicated study areas.

Nursing is also among the majors that have no specific place to study.

Tim McGovern, vice president of SGA, commented on the meeting’s results.

“This event shows that the administration cares about students and is willing to take time for them,” he said.

“I think it’s a great idea,” Vince Nicastro said of the Town Hall format.

“There’s sometimes a ‘conspiracy’ on issues that can’t get to the administration. It’s programs like this that get real feedback,” he added.