New beginning, chance to shine

An often-repeated line from Robert Herrick’s poem, “Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,” remains powerful despite all the time has passed since it Herrick wrote it. Its motivational premise, of making the most of one’s time and circumstances, seems very appropriate for the opening of this new semester.  

During a week when ambitions are soaring and John Hancocks are being scribbled from table to table at the Activities Fair, it is important to keep in mind that simply signing up does not imply participation.  If you walked past the Ski and Snowboard club, signed up, but are not sure how avid a skier you are, attend the first meeting and find out some information anyway. If you know you like to volunteer, but are not sure how you could help, maybe talking to some people in Project Sunshine department is a positive step.  

Such rhetoric may seem redundant to anyone other than freshmen. Maybe you think you’ve been here, attended the Activities Fair, and probably tested the waters for various organizations.  However, why not make the most of your time here at Villanova, whether you have four years, or eight months left?  Activities are opportunities for students to find outlets of interest.  Though they may seem like handy resume boosts, they can be used more effectively to incorporate personal interests and develop a sense of independence.

An environment such as Villanova’s allows for countless opportunities, both class-related and extracurricular.  If you have an idea that may enhance class discussion, come up with a plan and run it by your professor.

If you are interested in a particular form of dance or literature discussion that does not yet exist on campus, propose it to the University.  College is all about developing one’s independence, and the beginning of the year is a perfect time to start.  

Even though at the beginning of the year, drop-add week seems to drag, the pace of campus-life will pick up, and weeks will roll into semesters, which will spiral into four short years here at Villanova.  Get off the futon, and “carpe diem!”  Venture over to the newly-renovated library.  Take out a book, dare I say, for fun.  Attend a meeting for an organization, even if you’re unsure that it’s for you.  Introduce yourself to your new professors.  Act upon an idea that’s been lingering in the back of your mind.  There’s no time like the present to gather these moments – and these opportunities – while ye may.