Senior Dinner Dance date a disappointment

When the senior class’ time at Villanova winds down this spring, there will be just one thing separating final exams and packing sessions from commencement celebrations and a summer of new beginnings.

That much-needed buffer is Senior Week, a week of seniors-only activities. The schedule traditionally features the Senior Dinner Dance, traditionally set at the Atlantic City Convention Center.

But this year’s dance has been moved to Saturday, April 16, due to the Convention Center being unavailable during the dates of Senior Week.

Certainly, seniors have a right to feel let down.

The April 16 date of the dance will inevitably create problems.

It coincides with the University’s Candidates’ Day, which means that senior members of Blue Key Society, Ambassadors, and other student organizations that help with the day’s events will have to rush to get to Atlantic City, located about an hour and twenty minutes away, on time.

Furthermore, the date falls on the last weekend before the semester’s last week of classes.

For students scrambling to finish senior projects, starting to study for final exams and trying to wrap up loose ends before leaving the area, the greater part of this weekend will be lost.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the rescheduling will cheat this year’s graduating class of a memorable and satisfying end to their college career.

Though Student Development’s intentions were good – they ultimately came to a conclusion based on past seniors’ enthusiasm about the location – they will hopefully in future years find ways to ensure that the dance wraps up Senior Week once again.

After all, it may be the last time the senior class gathers together for a Saturday night.

It may be their last rendition of “Living on a Prayer.”

It may be their last group toast to their time at Villanova.

Yes, the dance will be unforgettable whenever it takes place. But it would be most fitting as a remarkable ending for a class that deserves to go out with a bang.