Event for Week of March 7

[email protected]

I bet some of your readers would be interested in attending this. Thanks for putting this listing in the paper.

NAME: Media Smart Seminars DATE: Wednesday, March 9LOCATION: Temple University Center City Campus, 1515 Market StreetTIME: 3:30 – 5 p.m.WEB: http://mediasmartphilly.comCOST: FREE

PHILADELPHIA, PA – The first session of the free Media Smart Seminar will be held on Wednesday, March 9, at 3:30 p.m. at Temple University’s Center City Campus, 1515 Market Street. Media Smart Seminars are an ongoing series of free public events promoting networking and professional growth for K-12 and college educators, students, and individuals in non-profit, social service and community organizations in the metro Philadelphia area. The monthly seminars showcase the work of innovative local programs that help children and youth develop critical thinking and communication skills through the use of media and technology. Dr. Jeff Benton, Director of the Communication Program at Springfield High School, will start be the seminar with his session on featured speaker at a free Media Smart Seminar titled, “High School Video Production: Then and Now” on Wednesday, March 9, at 3:30 p.m. at Temple University’s Center City Campus. Springfield High School offers courses in studio production, film style production, computer graphics and broadcast journalism.

Renee Hobbs, the Temple University professor who sponsors the monthly Media Smart Seminars, says, “Video production classes in secondary schools have not generally been examined by scholars in media studies or education. High school teachers see real benefits that come from giving teens the chance to become ‘authors’ using media and technology tools. But these courses bring with them special challenges as well as benefits, which will be addressed in the program.”

Media Smart Seminars are an ongoing series of free public events promoting networking and professional growth for K-12 and college educators, students, and individuals in non-profit, social service and community organizations in the metro Philadelphia area. The monthly seminars showcase the work of innovative local programs that help children and youth develop critical thinking and communication skills through the use of media and technology.

CONTACT: Professor Renee Hobbs (215) 204-4291Renee HobbsAssociate Professor of CommunicationCo-Director, PhD. program in Mass Media and Communication (MMC)Director, Media Education LabDepartment of Broadcasting, Telecommunications and Mass MediaTemple UniversitySchool of Communications and Theater320 Annenberg HallPhiladelphia PA 19122phone: (215) 204-4291email: [email protected]://reneehobbs.orghttp://mediasmartphilly.com