Swimming racks up individual titles

Santo Caruso

Jenny Somerville is a sophomore. Like any sophomore, she is declaring a major, preparing for the apartments next year and winning consecutive Big East titles. Okay, maybe not every sophomore does that.

Somerville is the two-time champion in the 1,650 freestyle relay, and her victory was one of several personal and school bests for the Villanova women during the three day tourney.

Tori Delollo set a school record for the 100 yard backstroke, placing second and finishing in 55 seconds. Annie Kelley broke her personal best in the 400 IM at 4:20:79, good for second place, and Kristina Lennox took home third and a career-best 1:50:69 in the 200 yard free.

But the biggest story, behind Somerville, was Kiersten Rosenberg. The junior broke the school record in the 100 yard butterfly during the preliminaries and took fourth in the finals.

“Even though I was out for a month of training in November due to back problems, I still seemed to overcome the odds and swim my best times in all of my events,” said Rosenberg. “I trained my butt off when I returned to the water in December and for three months hoped I would perform my best at the Big East.”

She added, “My excitement and confidence is what took me to the record boards, and my underwater kick didn’t hurt either.”

All of these history-erasing performances still led to a fourth place finish, but do not be fooled by the numbers.

Although the women scored 423 points (winner Notre Dame scored 804), Rosenberg explains why there is such disparity.

“Teams such as Notre Dame, Rutgers and Pittsburgh have nothing better than us, other than bigger teams and divers. Their diving squad is outstanding and racks up a lot of points,” she said.

“We are just as strong in and out of the water.”

The women are quite young as well, with only four seniors. The sophomore class is particularly strong, with Danielle Honrath also having her best race in the championship.

Overall the waters look pretty clear for the “Wildcatfish.”