Annual Asian Expo takes place Saturday

J. Robert Gonzalez

Tomorrow night will prove to be an evening with the stars as the Asian Student Association puts on its annual Asian Expo, with this year’s theme of “Asian Idol.”

The expo, which will feature a variety of acts and performances from students and non-students alike, focusing on bringing various aspects of Asian culture into the awareness of students.

Through the offering of Filipino, Chinese, Korean and Japanese food, the aforementioned vocal and dance performances, such as the popular Filipino dance, the “tinikling”, and even performers from Shofuso Drums, a local Asian rhythm section, “Asian Idol” hopes to entertain an audience as big as its “American” counterpart.

“Asian Idol” isn’t only about getting rich and famous, though.

The expo will also offer a raffle from which all proceeds will go to Unite for Sight, a non-profit organization that focuses on the risk of blindness to the poor in developing countries. Because 80 percent of blindness in such countries such as Africa, Asia and Latin America is completely preventable, volunteers from the organization work to empower the people of these communities with education about and access to eye health programs.

The ASA invites students of all different backgrounds to attend the expo to enjoy the music and entertainment. “Asian Idol” has been in the works since October, and the association says it hopes the expo will offer a fun and relaxing escape from the back-to-school blues. The cost for a seat is $5 in advance and $8 at the door. The doors of the Villanova Room open at 6:30, and the show begins at 7:15.