Curing Cabin Fever

Hannah Misner

Although Villanova has an awesome campus, when the weekend rolls around, the Connelly Center and the Pavilion don’t always cut it. Luckily, Philadelphia is only a short train ride away, and an excellent destination for a weekend getaway. If the city isn’t what you’re looking for, the surrounding area offers seasonal attractions from ski mountains to beaches that can also provide the perfect escape from classes.

There is far more to Philadelphia than the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. South Street, a quick walk from Market Street Station, is a popular tourist attraction with countless shops, restaurants, cafes, bars and even art galleries. The Theatre of the Living Arts, a small venue for both big-name and more obscure performers, is also located at 334 South Street. The TLA’s sister venue, the Electric Factory, can be found at 421 N. 7th Street in Philly.

If you would like a taste of the age-old Philly Cheesesteak battle, be sure to visit Pat’s at 1237 E. Passyunk Avenue and Geno’s right across the street at 1219 S. 9th Street. If you are searching for more high-class dining, Pod is a sushi restaurant and bar at 3636 Sansom St. that looks straight out of a sci-fi movie, with color-changing pods and modern lighting and seating while top-notch sushi is served via conveyer belt.

Aside from Philadelphia’s obvious trademarks of historical sites, cheesesteaks and sports, there are many other options when spending the night or weekend in the city. For the ladies, Closet Fever, a salon, boutique and lounge is one-stop shopping, styling, pampering and relaxation all in one, found on 707 N. 2nd Street. Among several art galleries in the city, the leading site for art is the Philadelphia Museum of Art, which towers over the end of Benjamin Franklin Parkway.

There are countless options for nightlife in the city, but most bars and clubs will take a hefty bite out of a college student’s wallet. It is always still fun to get away and just spend a few bucks on a train ticket, a cheesesteak and walk around the city, taking in all the sights and sounds.

If the weather is nice and warm, the beach may be the way to go. The Jersey Shore offers a wide variety of activities in addition to the sand and waves. With amusement parks, boardwalks, water parks and the Atlantic City Casinos, a trip to the Jersey Shore is full of excitement and relaxation for stressed college students looking for a weekend away in the sun.

In the winter months, trudging through snow on campus makes many wish they were at a ski resort instead of Mendel. The Pocono Mountains are a close spot for skiers and snowboarders who don’t have the money to travel too far away for a snowy mountain.

There are countless ways for Villanova students to spend their free time in the surrounding area; sampling the food and exploring the culture of Philadelphia, or getting outside of the city for a beach or ski trip.

If you aren’t swamped with work and the movie playing at the Connelly Center Cinema doesn’t exactly strike your fancy, don’t just lounge around the dorm room twiddling your thumbs; take advantage of the exciting world surrounding you.