Frisbee team, Dean Pugh discuss off-campus policy

Alessandro Roco

The who: the Villanova Frisbee team.

The where: the University’s parking lots and off-campus.

The why: an off-campus party.

When the Villanova Club Ultimate Frisbee team decided to host a party on March 31, the members of the team, as well as the students who planned on attending the party, found themselves with one major problem: no transportation.

The team had called buses to meet them and the other students at the SEPTA lot on West campus when a Public Safety officer approached a team member allegedly saying, “Because of an incident last week with a student on a bus at an unregistered party, there is a new rule effective today that if any buses are parked on campus for an unregistered party, they are to be thrown off campus,” according to a team member who wished to remain anonymous.

Paul Pugh, dean of students, however, said, “They [these buses] have never been allowed on campus.

“This policy has been in place for a while now since these unapproved parties certain organizations try to throw can be a major safety issue for students,” Pugh added. “We’re not going to simply allow buses that haven’t been approved by Villanova to just park on our campus.”

According to Pugh, unauthorized buses parking on University property can be considered trespassing.

The events that ensued after the buses were forced to leave University property left many students, including the members of the Frisbee team, without a way to their planned event.

They eventually had to take public transportation to Ardmore to help get to their destination in Philadelphia.

“We gave them [the bus drivers] the address to Pizza Palace in Ardmore which was right across from the train station,” a team member said. “We all got onto the SEPTA train and rode it to Ardmore, where we found the buses parked in a parking lot across from the train station.”

Though Pugh had no knowledge of the Frisbee party itself, he did offer advice to student organizations who wish to go off-campus to host parties.

“We are not going to discourage students from wanting to go off-campus,” he said. “The surrounding area and especially Philadelphia are great places for young people to go. But for buses to be allowed to take students off-campus, there is a procedure they need to follow.”

This procedure includes going through the Student Development office, notifying Public Safety and filling out certain forms.

According to the Frisbee team, the reason for the stricter crackdown on illegal buses on University property was a recent case in which a fight broke out among students on a bus to an off-campus party.

The police eventually got involved in the situation and pulled over the bus.

The case remains under investigation with the police and with the Department of Public Safety, and because of that, Pugh said, “No details can be talked about because we just have to let the case run its course.”

He added, “But this kind of situation shows how important it is that students go only to sanctioned parties. These unapproved parties far too often put good kids in bad situations, such as having to deal with a bad bus company or putting them in bad places.”