NovaFest acts announced

Jessica May

The Campus Activities Team music branch officially announced that the Goo Goo Dolls will headline the NovaFest concert on April 21, putting an end to weeks of wide-spread rumors. Copeland will perform as the concert’s opening act.

Brandy Jericho-Beach, assistant director of Student Development and Media Programming, said she is happy the contracts have been finalized.

“There was a lot of coordinating that had to happen,” Jericho-Beach said. “This band overwhelmingly won the survey taken by members of the student body, so we were happy to make it happen.”

NovaFest is scheduled to kick off at 1:30 p.m. on April 20 at the Oreo with live student bands, food provided by Taste of Philly and a live broadcast by WXVU in celebration of its 60th anniversary at Villanova.

April 20 is also the date of MSL Night, which will take place in the Villanova Room. While this is not a part of NovaFest, the directors of the program said they want students to know about this event as well as Rays of Sunshine’s Sunshine Day, which will take place on April 21 on West Campus.

Relay for Life will also be NovaFest weekend but will be over in time for the concert.

The annual ‘Nova field event will occur on April 21 at 1 p.m. on Sheehan Beach, complete with bands and inflatable structures beginning at 2 p.m., while a kickball tournament will take place on Austin Field until 6 p.m.

Unlike previous years, NovaFest 2007 wil not feature a Friday night comedy act.

While events last throughout the weekend, the highlight of this year’s festival will most likely be the appearance of the Goo Goo Dolls and Copeland in the Pavilion.

Since the release of their latest album, “Let Love In,” reached the Top Ten of the Billboard Top 200 album chart, the Goo Goo Dolls have been busy with their latest tour that began Feb. 3 in Wilkes Barre, Pa.

A classic band to current Villanova students, they have celebrated 12 Top 10 hits, eight studio records and a consistently growing fan base since their formation in 1986.

They are also responsible for songs such as “Iris,” “Slide” and “Broadway,” all of which highlight the mainstream rock genre during the late ’90s and early ’00s.

Their finely tuned sound, consisting of powerful rock ballads, romantic lyrics and motivational guitar solos, has managed to capture the attention of audiences for years.

A song from their most recent album, “Better Days,” has been used as a ballad for fundraising efforts throughout the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Recent concerts have included songs from both older and newer albums, which should appeal to students of various ages during the NovaFest performance.

Copeland, the opening act for Goo Goo Dolls, will add an indie-pop style and big sound to the evening.

Doors will open at 8 p.m. on April 21, with the show beginning at 9 p.m. Tickets go on sale today and cost $20 for Villanova students and $25 for everyone else.

Students can purchase tickets online at www.villanova.edu/novafest or at the CAT office, located in 108 Dougherty.

Jericho-Beach also stresses the need for students to help with the festival as well as the concert itself.

“We need volunteers desperately,” Jericho-Beach said. “Volunteers will get amazing perks, which we will discuss during our information night.”

Sessions will take place April 2 at 6 and 7 p.m. For more information, visit the NovaFest Web site or contact Jericho-Beach at [email protected]