Peace Awareness Day at Oreo tomorrow

Hannah Misner

Villanovans for Peace will host Peace Awareness Day tomorrow at the Oreo from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. The event will feature an official petition for military disengagement to be personally delivered to Pennsylvania Representative Joe Sestak so that he can present it to Congress, as well as activist speeches and information about ways to protest. WXVU will provide free food, giveaways and music.

Although Villanovans for Peace sponsors the event, other peace and justice organizations will attend. The day is an exhibition of the peace and justice groups on campus, with hope of heightening awareness and increasing involvement.

Villanovans for Peace is a non-partisan, student-run organization dedicated to raising awareness at Villanova about contemporary peace issues and advocating the use of peaceful means in U.S. foreign policy.

This year the group has chosen to focus its efforts on the Iraq war. Members of the group say that this is the best way to spread VFP’s message. Citizens of the United States have a direct voice on this issue, whereas they are of little influence in other parts of the world.

VFP was also responsible for the “Eyes Wide Open” boots display at the Oreo and the showing of the documentary “The Ground Truth.” Group members describe VFP as proactive, dedicated to its cause and having goals for the University as a whole.

“Members of Villanovans for Peace are hoping that the Villanova community will come out and join together in support of peace,” VFP President Ashley Holmgren said. “This will send out a clear message that we want peace, not war. So please come out and ‘Give peace a chance.’ “

Although Villanovans for Peace has visions of a united Villanova community, members say it has an initial goal of breaking the barrier of apathy that affects a substantial percentage of the student body.

Peace Awareness Day is aimed at providing information to students about modern world issues, including hunger, homelessness and the genocide in Darfur. Organizers say they hope that after being informed, students will find and actively participate in a cause that they feel strongly about.

Coordinators of the event say they hope that it will raise awareness of peace and justice issues, open dialogue and provide resources for those who want to help.

A rain date is scheduled for this Tuesday, May 1 at the Oreo from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.