Field Hockey: ‘Cats dropped by Cardinals, Friars

Allison Venella

By Allison Venella

Staff Reporter

The field hockey team won at home against Georgetown before break, but lost two tough games over fall break, both times to Big East rivals.

The win came as the team beat the Hoyas handily by a score of 6-3. Villanova fell to Louisville 2-0 in their second conference loss. After regrouping and having many practices, the team came out this past Sunday to face Providence, but was unable to win after the Friars scored three goals.

In the win against Georgetown, sophomore Emily Donaldson, and freshmen Lauren Wuzzardo and Sam Haas each scored a goal in the first half to put ‘Nova up early 3-0. The Hoyas scored a goal at the end of the first to cut the lead to 3-1.

Villanova went into the second half ready to win the game. Donaldson and Haas each scored again. Even though the Hoyas answered with two more goals of their own, goalkeeper Maura McCormick did a great job at keeping most of their offensive drives to shots on goal. Villanova scored one last goal as sophomore back Steffi Caniglia got the ball all the way to the scoring end and inside the circle and passed to freshman Ally Smith, who got the ball into the net for Villanova’s sixth goal of the game.

This game improved the ‘Cats record to 10-3 and 3-1 in the Big East.

In the game against Louisville, the Cardinals scored two first-half goals, which went unanswered and led to the Villanova loss. Villanova came out strong at the beginning of the game and after the half, firing eight shots on goal as well as gaining four penalty corners. However, its offensive attacks were spoiled by the Cardinal defense.

The Villanova defense also worked hard to keep the Cardinals to only two goals.

“In tough games, and any game for that matter, the key to success for our defensive unit is constant communication,” senior Jenny Nelson said. “If we are all talking to each other and helping each other out, that is when we have our best games.”

The last game of the week came against the Providence Friars. However, first-half scoring again proved to be the difference as the Friars were able to sneak in three to run off with the win.

The Villanova offensive and defensive units fought hard the whole game to turn the tide, firing shots on goal as well as forcing penalty corners. But the momentum was in the Friars’ favor and the Wildcats never made up any of the lost ground.

The field hockey team now sits at 10-5 overall and 3-3 in the Big East.

Villanova has three games remaining before the Big East Conference Championships.

“Our main focus for the rest of the season is to come out strong in every game no matter what team we are playing for the full 70 minutes,” Nelson said. “We find that when we do that, we are unstoppable.  We can’t take any team for granted right now.”

The Wildcats have three games left, playing at St. Joe’s and University of Maryland this week. Senior Day will be on Sunday, when the ‘Cats will take on Robert Morris.