Mock Trial team places first in invitational

Asley Lynam

This past weekend Villanova’s Mock Trial Team finished in first place at the Lafayette College Tournament in Easton, Pa.

This is the first time the team has won an invitational since its start in 2004.

Villanova brought four teams to the tournament and left with a first-place, fifth-place and 10th-place win.

The fourth team came in a close 11th.

Other teams competing in the tournament included Penn State, Lafayette College and Johns Hopkins.

The first-place winning team includes members Ashley Lynam, John Marty, Anthony Celo, Steve Homola, Joe Martyn, Andrew Milano and Catie Simanski.

John Marty received a “Best Attorney” award, and Andrew Milano received a “Best Witness” award for their outstanding performances.

Other individual achievement awards were given to Katie Walsh, Amanda McCarthy, June Lee, Jenna Troup and Kaitlyn Flynn.

Villanova’s Mock Trial Team was founded by alumnus Brian Collins, who is currently in his third year of law school at the University of Pennsylvania.

Collins now coaches the team along with attorneys Arthur “Buzz” Shuman and Richard Michaelson.

Founded in 2004 by Villanova undergraduate students, the Mock Trial Team is nationally ranked by the American Mock Trial Association as one of the best teams in the country, responsible for participating and winning a variety of competitions.

Each year students prepare a fictional case provided by the American Mock Trial Association.

Mock Trial gives undergraduate students an opportunity to preview the work of a trial attorney, learn courtroom procedure and develop the critical thinking skills required in litigation work.