LAX: Wildcats pull out victory at Robert Morris

Jonathan Hofmann

The men’s lacrosse team kept up the momentum from its victory over Robert Morris with a 7-4 win at Towson on April 18. This important win allowed the ‘Cats to clinch one of four spots in the upcoming CAA tournament.

Sophomore attackman Paul Webber began the Villanova assault with the team’s only score of the first quarter. Towson answered three minutes later to tie the score 1-1 at the end of the quarter.

Towson scored early in the second quarter to take the lead, but the Wildcats responded with Webber’s second goal with only 2:57 left in playing time. The teams scored two goals each in the third quarter, bringing the tally to 4-4 leading into the pivotal fourth quarter.

Junior attackman Tim Driscoll scored on an assist from freshman Mike Brennan with 10:20 left in regulation time. This goal would prove to be all the motivation the team needed. Sophomore Mark Scioscia would add another goal with 5:29 left, followed by one from midfielder Tim Langan Jr. one minute later.

The Wildcats’ impressive defense kept Towson from scoring again, resulting in a decisive win. This was the team’s fourth win in the last five games, and its third-straight close game.

Webber ended the day with three goals, and Driscoll finished with two.

Towson was the winner in the stats, outshooting the Wildcats 35-19 and winning 13-of-15 face offs.

Junior goalie Andrew DiLoreto saved an outstanding 12 shots to stave off the Towson offense.

The win against Towson was a first for Villanova, who had previously been 0-16 against the Tigers.

‘Nova brought its overall record to 5-8 and its CAA record to 3-2. The team plays its last regular season game at home on Saturday against Drexel at 7 p.m., which will also be Senior Night.

The women’s lacrosse team lost by a large margin to Temple on April 19. In the team’s third-straight loss, juniors Taylor Lucy and Taryn McKenna led the Wildcats with two goals each.

An unassisted goal by senior Amanda Carlson only two-and-a-half minutes into the game gave the Wildcats their only lead of the contest. The Temple Owls answered with four straight goals in only 10 minutes. Lucy scored her first goal soon after to bring the score to a 4-2 Owl lead.

The teams would trade goals the rest of the first half, but the Owls proved too great a defensive force to beat. Sophomore Samantha McKillip and junior Katie Stone were able to add one goal each to Villanova’s tally, but it was not enough. Temple led 13-5 going into the half, and the Wildcats were never able to fully recover.

Lucy and McKenna each added another goal for the only Villanova scores in the second half. Temple’s senior midfielder Berkley Summerlin scored an impressive career-high seven goals throughout the game. The Owls added eight tallies to their lead, giving the team a 21-7 win

The loss brought the Wildcats overall record to 4-11; with the victory the Owls improved to 11-4 on the season.