Lambda Pi Eta inducts new members

Lauren Piro

The communication department inducted its newest members into the Alpha Rho chapter of Lambda Pi Eta, the national honor society of communication students, last Saturday.

The evening began when inductees entered the banquet hall, taking their seats with friends and family who they had invited.

The ceremony began with an invocation from University President Rev. Peter Donohue, O.S.A., as well as a welcoming address from Lambda Pi Eta’s faculty adviser, Dr. Stacey Wieland.

This year’s student executive board of the society introduced the history and values of Lambda Pi Eta, including the meaning behind the society’s name – symbolizing Aristotle’s “logos,” “pathos” and “ethos.” The board then formally introduced all of the new inductees and led them through the Lambda Pi Eta pledge.

As the 40 undergraduate students were inducted, they were congratulated by numerous communication faculty who were in attendance, including Department Chair Dr. Bryan Crable.

Each year, the communication department’s Pathos Award, Ethos Award and Distinguished Service Award are given out at the induction ceremony.

The Pathos Award is given to a student who has offered a large amount of service to the communication department during his or her time at Villanova. This year’s award went to senior Tony Popowski, who served not only as the president of Lambda Pi Eta this year but also as president of Villanova’s chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America.

This year’s Ethos Award was given to an acclaimed Villanova alumnus and recent communication faculty member, Hezekiah Lewis, Class of ’00.

Lewis attended UCLA’s film school after graduating from Villanova with a bachelor’s degree in communication, a master’s degree in theatre and a memorable contribution to the University’s football team.

At UCLA, Lewis produced two films, “Curtain Call” and “Memoirs of a Smoker,” as well as a thesis film on Ghanian queen Yaa Asantewaa, titled “Warrior Queen.”

All have received praise at several film festivals across the nation and were featured in this semester’s Cultural Film Series.

Lewis offered his gratitude to the award selection committee, as well as advice to the students present at the event.

“What I love about the communication department is that it builds well-rounded students; it builds your passion,” he said. “If you’re passionate about what you do, you’ll go a long way.”

The Distinguished Service Award was presented to James Crowley, an attorney and consultant with related experience in international negotiations as well as with the Catholic Church.

Crowley was honored for being instrumental in organizing the communication department’s Vatican Internship Program.

This internship offers students the unique opportunity to experience a semester in Rome producing multimedia content for the Vatican’s Web site.

Villanova is the only university in the world that offers an internship program at the Vatican.

Crowley also addressed those in attendance, noting how communication students can take to heart the ideals and teachings of St. Augustine.

“Communicate love, communicate mystery, communicate truth,” Crowley said, reflecting on St. Augustine.

The evening concluded with a benediction given by Donohue, as well as the announcement of next year’s Lamba Pi Eta student executive board.

The new officers include Stephanie Rollo as president, Samantha Coveleski as vice president, Diana Mergiotti as treasurer, Kate Dembroski and Elizabeth Brittenham as press secretaries and Lara Condon as recording secretary.