First Doses of Moderna Vaccine Distributed to Students

Sarah Wisniewski, Co-News Editor

On Friday, Apr. 16, a limited number of students, faculty and staff were able to receive their first dose of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine. The University partnered with Rite Aid to secure the vaccines and administered the first doses in the Finneran Pavilion. An email was sent out in the late afternoon on Monday, Apr. 12, with a link for students and faculty to sign up for an appointment. 

In the same email, students and faculty were advised to not share the link for appointments with any other employee or family member. The email encouraged individuals not affiliated with the University to make vaccine appointments at other sites in the surrounding area. As of Apr. 13, all Pennsylvania adults became eligible for the vaccine.

The email also reminded all individuals who are vaccinated that they are not fully protected until two weeks after their second vaccination. More so, the University asked that even vaccinated individuals continue to wear masks, maintain physical distance and wash their hands to continue to keep the community safe for the final weeks of the semester. 

Isabella Bruck, a sophomore in the business school, was one of the lucky students to receive her first dose of the vaccine last Friday. Bruck is an international student who currently lives in Germany and specifically took advantage of this opportunity due to the lack of distribution within her home country. She shared that her parents are still unable to secure an appointment in Germany, so when the email was sent out, Bruck immediately signed up. 

“Signing up was very easy and accessible,” Bruck said. “The process was the same as signing up for surveillance testing, so I was familiar with it and was able to sign up quickly. I was scared they would run out of appointments, so I acted fast.”

Those who received their first dose on campus were only able to come back on Tuesday, May 18, for their second dose. The University emphasized that appointments would not be able to be rescheduled or changed. 

Bruck expressed that as an international student she wished there were more options for appointments. “I am extremely grateful to be able to receive the vaccine, however, I did have to find a friend to stay with for the extra week before returning home,” Bruck said. “That is the only downside of getting the vaccine this way.” 

Marcella Krautzel, a freshman in the business school, also received her vaccine through the University. She explained that the entire process only took about 20 to 25 minutes. Krautzel explained that the University only required students and faculty to show a photo ID and insurance card in order to receive the vaccine the day of. 

“I arrived at the Finneran Pavilion and got my shot quickly after being checked in,” the freshman said. “I sat in a chair after the shot for 15 minutes and then went about my day. It was easy and convenient.”

Overall, the day went as planned and the University is excited to announce that a combined 1,500 Villanovans, including faculty, students and staff, have been vaccinated within the past two weeks through the partnership with Rite Aid.