Softball splits series with USF

Nick Esposito

The softball team endured a tough 2-1 loss against USF but recovered quickly to post an 8-0 shutout in the second game of a doubleheader this weekend in Tampa.

In the first game, the ‘Cats just couldn’t get on the board, unable to explode with their bats. The single run that Villanova earned came in the fifth inning when freshman Kristi Burlin started the inning off with a single. Sophomore Stephanie Zrebiec entered the game to pitch run for Burlin. Zrebiec was able to get around the bases on an error and a stolen base. She crossed the plate after another fielding error by USF. Senior pitcher Megan Hord threw a very effective game, striking out six batters in six innings.

The Wildcats came alive in game two, totaling eight runs and nine hits. The first run came in the first inning when junior Danielle Maricle crossed the plate on a groundout by senior Meghan Morese. In the second inning the ‘Cats were able to load the bases, and junior Eryn Teague made it home on a walk by senior Natalie Hord. Sophomore Christina Botkins also crossed the plate on an RBI groundout from Maricle.

The scoring continued for Villanova in the fourth, when Burlin scored another run on an RBI from freshman Tessa Braga, who was hit by a pitch.

The fifth inning was scoreless for the ‘Cats, but their bats exploded in the sixth, when the team picked up another four runs to add to their lead. An RBI single off the bat of senior Jackie Dempsey sent freshman Shannon O’Brien home. A bases-loaded double from t senior Jess O’Boyle sent three more runs home to make the score 8-0.

The Wildcat pitching was just as impressive. Freshman Caitlyn Delahaba threw 5.1 innings, allowing just three hits while striking out three batters. Freshman Molly Manning took over for Delahaba and did not allow a hit.

The Wildcats take the field again tomorrow against the Louisville Cardinals at 4 p.m.. -K.M.

Water Polo

The rough waters of the Villanova Women’s Water Polo season did not look any less fierce this weekend at the Villanova Invitational. The Wildcats welcomed the George Washington Colonials and the powerhouse Iona Gaels to campus. The Wildcats are 1-17 this season and continue to wait for the youthful skill of the team to come to fruition.

On Friday, the Wildcats jumped into the pool with George Washington with an upset on their minds. GW struck first on their first possession of the game. The Wildcats answered back with three quick goals to give the home squad a two goal lead at the end of the first quarter.

The tides turned in the second period, as GW put three straight past freshman goalie Ellie McCutcheon to take the lead. ‘Nova scored late in the first half to go into the break tied up at 5.

The second half belonged to the Colonials. They scored three goals early and were able to hold off the Wildcats to take away the 10-8 victory. Freshman Jen Soares led the ‘Cats with four hard-fought goals.

Sophomore Kathleen Maloney and freshman Sara Kane also scored for Nova in the losing effort. Ellie McCutcheon held strong in the net as she turned away a bombardment of Colonial shots.

Colonials Marissa Stamler and Tara Sullivan combined for seven of 10 goals. The Wildcats held freshman Allison Peotter scoreless, the first time in 16 contests. She was able to grab five assists and four steals en route to the Colonial victory.

Villanova is back in action against the Siena Saints on April 4 in Staten Island, N.Y. -N.E.