A Capella Palooza Night

Sophia Pedro, Staff Writer

This past weekend the University and the Campus Activities Team hosted the annual A Cappella Palooza. Similar to Boo Palooza in the Fall, the event was held on Mendel Field this past Friday night at 7:30 p.m. Anyone who wanted to attend signed up online through VUtix so that social distancing guidelines were upheld. 

Hundreds of students, as well as family members of the performers, came to show their support with portable chairs in hand. Unlike at Boo Palooza, there were food trucks surrounding the Campus Green this time. There was everything from ice cream and donuts to tacos and spring roll burritos (spurritos). DJ 007 also made a reappearance to hype up the crowd alongside two student announcers. 

All eight of Villanova’s a cappella groups got to showcase their talents: Vocal Minority, Nothing But Treble, The Haveners, Measure Up, Supernovas, Minor Problem, Spires and Sirens. Each group sang three songs, most dedicating the last one to the graduating seniors, as this was likely the last performance these groups had with their talented seniors.  

“I’m forever grateful for the opportunity to sing with a beautiful group of girls who share the same passion for music,” senior Nothing But Treble member Samantha Pastore said. “I will miss them so much.”

All the seniors across the eight groups likely felt similar emotions during their last performances. Senior Jack Amabile, a member of the all-male group Spires, echoed a similar sentiment. 

“My last palooza was a fantastic gift, as I did not think we were even going to have a performance,” Amabile said. “The Spires showed up, and we gave it our all on the stage. I could not have been prouder to be the leader of this group. While it may be my last performance as a student, I know I have many more memories to make with the Spires as an alumnus.”

Needless to say, A Cappella Palooza was not only an extreme success but also a very proud moment for all performers. Sophomore Alex Petrozzi, a member of the all-female group Sirens, shared her experience. 

“It was such an amazing feeling to see all of our hard work pay off,” she said. “Despite all of the challenges this year has thrown at us, all of the groups were able to work hard and put on an amazing performance.”

As successful as this Palooza was in the unprecedented times we are in, it is natural and exciting to look forward to a more normal a cappella season next year, with even more chances to perform.

“Last year palooza was cancelled due to COVID, so getting to perform this year felt amazing,” Sirens member Lauren Picard said. “Next year I’m looking forward to hopefully singing without masks.”

Overall, A Cappella Palooza was a great success. Come out to Mendel Field next Friday at 7:30 p.m. for Dance Palooza and show your support for five of the amazing dance groups on campus.