Offices to relocate to Garey Hall

Michelle Farabaugh

Garey Hall, the former home of the Villanova School of Law, will soon be filled with several new offices when academic and administrative departments from around the University relocate to the building in June.

The Office of Alumni Relations will move from its current location in Alumni House, which lies across Lancaster Avenue from Campus Corner and next to Moriarity Hall.

The honors and communication departments will relocate from their current offices in the St. Augustine Center. 

Other University functions that will make the move to West Campus include Career Services, the Waterhouse Institute, the Institute for Global Interdisciplinary Studies and the Custodial Office. Space in Garey Hall will also be used for remote storage for library books.

“Many departments on campus have very limited space,” said Robert Morro, associate vice president for Facilities Management. “The moves to Garey Hall provide an opportunity for growth and/or co-location of previously separated functions.”

The Office of Alumni Relations currently shares Alumni House with several members of the Office of University Communication.Because they work closely with one another, several members of the Office of University Development will also relocate to Garey Hall along with the Alumni Relations staff.

Emily Spitale, director of communication for University Advancement, which is located in Picotte Hall at Dundale on West Campus, is assured of the positive effects that the move to Garey Hall will have on Alumni Relations and University Development, both components of Advancement.

“Overall, moving the Alumni Relations office and part of Development to Garey Hall will foster an even greater connection between the components of University Advancement,” she wrote in an e-mail. “Development and Alumni Relations personnel in the same space further integrates the two areas which will enhance communication and help them to work more effectively toward the goals of the University Advancement program.”

The move will create additional space in Picotte Hall, which will be used to house the Telefund, according to Spitale.

The Telefund supports the University’s Annual Fund program, which enables parents, alumni and friends to donate to the University.

“Having the students move to Picotte Hall will provide a more appropriate space for them and allow them to integrate and interact with University Advancement staff,” Spitale said.

The move will not take place until after Reunion Weekend, which will be held June 11-13.